One of the main activities in our group of friends for quite a long time already is playing board games. And I have also created several Meetups on the same topic. It’s just a great activity and there are so many games to choose from! Sometimes you’d like to play something simple and fun while on other occasions I prefer strategic games where you really have to focus and concentrate. There’s a game for every occasion and every mood :)! Here are some of the games I would recommend if you haven’t tried them already! I also added BoardGameGeek links.
- Pandemic – definitely my current favorite game at the moment. It differs from most of the other games since you are actually playing as a team against the game itself. It’s really addictive and can be frustrating (in a goof way I guess 🙂 ) if sometimes you lose and it’s just a really close call!
- Ticket to Ride Europe – a really good strategy game that takes some learning but when you get it you want to play it again and again!
- Touche – a fun and easy game to enjoy when you feel like playing something simple
- Dixit – brings out the creative side of players. It’s all about pictures and giving hints with just enough information. You’ll get it when you play it 🙂
- Citadels – just a great balance between simple and still the possibility to ply out you strategy
- Catan – I think this is one of the most known games. Definitely worth trying!
- Bohnanza – just awesome fun! And you can learn it in 5 minutes!
- Mysterium – somewhat similar to Dixit but still an awesome game on it’s own!
Of course there are several different extensions available for most, if not all, of the games above and there is still a cupboard full of games I have that I din’t mention but I just wanted to bring these out.
I’m actually also working on my own strategic board game. I have had the idea for couple of years but I have now finally taken up the mission to get it finished during this year. Hopefully it goes well! I will write a separate post about it someday soon!
Wish you all the best!
This is a great list! I have never heard of Touché before but it sounds like a lot of fun. Also, good luck on your game creation!